In this episode we’re catching up with Kathryn, my public coaching volunteer in Portland. Where we left off, she was starting a cottage bakery out of her home focusing on gluten-free cookies, scones, and banana bread.
The ultimate goals were to be able to leave her less-than-awesome day job and figured with a net monthly side hustle income of $1500, she’d be able to lease some commercial kitchen space and scale up her operations.
When you met Kathryn, she was pounding the pavement, calling on local coffee shops to drum up interest and had set a 2-week goal of landing her first customer.
And she did it!
A local shop agreed to order 20 pieces from her!
Look at that smile with the first $20 earned in her new side hustle!
In this call we talk about:
- Kathryn’s “sample bag” delivery strategy
- Narrowing down the product offerings from 15 to 4.
- Some opportunities with larger coffee shop chains and other potential clients like schools, hospitals, universities, hotels, etc.
- Questions that come up in conversation with customers, like, “What’s the minimum order for free delivery?”
- Packing and branding opportunities.
- Collecting payments cash-on-delivery or via the Square card reader.
- How to handle potential repeat orders.
- Goals for the next few weeks.
Kathryn’s goals for the next 2 weeks:
- Continue to follow-up with Dutch Brothers account.
- Call on 5 new customers.
Take a look at the sample bags she’s giving away. Each includes a hand-written note to the store manager along with product samples, an ingredient list, and a note that verifies her state cottage bakery certification.
I think these are an awesome idea, and something that could be applied to any number of offline or online businesses. I mean, is the sample bag of gluten-free cookies really that much different than Carrie‘s or Bryan‘s or Sean‘s call to give away some value first, before asking to get paid?
If you have any feedback or questions for Kathryn, please leave a comment below!
Stay tuned to follow along with Kathryn’s journey and we’ll catch up with Wellington next week!