In Episode 21 of The Side Hustle Show, Jim Wang shares the strategies and tactics he used to take Bargaineering.com from a part-time hobby to a 7-figure business.
In 2010, Jim sold Bargaineering to Bankrate for a reported $3 million, which probably makes him my wealthiest guest so far!
We also discuss how the blogging world has changed since 2005 and what he’s doing differently for his latest project.
Ready to start a blog of your own? My free blogging course will show you how to get started quickly and affordably.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Jim got the idea to start Bargaineering.
- Why he didn’t expect the site to be a source of income.
- What he did to gain some initial traction and readership.
- His “epiphany moment” in terms of monetizing the site.
- Why it was so difficult to quit his job, even though the site was earning 6x more than his salary!
- The extreme habit it took to build Bargaineering into a major force in the personal finance niche.
- How building a blog today is different from 2005, and what strategies he’s using for his next project.
- Jim’s #1 tip for Side Hustle Nation.
- Bargaineering.com | Side Hustle post
- Microblogger.com — Jim’s new site
- WalletHacks — Jim’s new new site!
- Episode 10 of The Side Hustle Show w/ Robert Farrington
- The College Investor
What do you think of blogging as a side hustle? I think a blog can feed a business, but probably won’t be an awesome business all on its own. Let me know!