Side hustle jobs are everywhere these days!
There are dozens (maybe even hundreds) of different apps that all promise a different way to make extra money in your spare time.
In this post, I’ll share some of the most popular side hustle jobs, and where you can go to get started.
A Side Hustle Job vs. Starting a Business in Your Spare Time
Sometimes, the term “side hustle” carries a more entrepreneurial connotation than merely working a second job. These are the types of businesses I often cover on The Side Hustle Show, my award-winning podcast.
If you’re looking to build something a little bigger, I encourage you to check it out!
But if you’re just looking for some simple, steady, ways to earn money in your spare time, you’ve come to the right place.
That’s not to say you can’t earn a lot with a side hustle job — some of these may even be able to replace your day job income — but you’ll almost always be limited by how much time you can put in.
There’s not a lot of opportunity to build passive income or leverage here. And that’s OK!
Ready? Let’s do it!
Advantages of Side Hustle Jobs
- quick and easy to get started
- low startup costs
- very little sales or marketing involved
Disadvantages of Side Hustle Jobs
- still trading time for money
- most have a relatively low expected hourly rate
- you may not have much control of your workload
Helpful Side Hustle Job Apps
Steady is a cool new app and website that showcases a wide variety of “gig economy” opportunities. For example, you can find part-time jobs, work from home gigs, flexible “anytime” options, and more.
In browsing through the listings, you’ll see the common delivery and rideshare gigs you’d probably expect, but I was pleasantly surprised to see several options I’d never heard — in areas like brand ambassadorship, political advocacy, mystery shopping, transcription, and more.
Steady is your gateway to all these gigs and gives you a convenient central location and interface to browse. After you create your account, you’ll be able to see everything available online and in your local area.
The app also provides a centralized tool to account for all your side hustle job earnings, and see which ones are truly the most profitable for you.
FlexJobs is the leading job platform for work-from-home jobs. A portion of those are for part-time work in a wide variety of categories.
It costs a nominal fee to become a member on the site, but it’s a legit job board and you’ll easily earn it back and then some with just one job.
The companies that advertise here are ahead of the curve. They understand they can find better talent by offering a remote work opportunity instead of limiting their search to people nearby.
Other Side Hustle Job Sites to Check Out:
- AppJobs – Similar to Steady, in that it aggregates a bunch of side hustle jobs in one place. Filter by city and then by the type of work you’re interested in (delivery, freelance, cleaning, handyman, etc.) to see opportunities.
- ShiftPixy – The ShiftPixy app helps you “find shift work when you need it, where you need it!”
- Wonolo – This popular temp work platform connects you with immediate hourly or same day side hustle jobs.
Delivery and Driving Side Hustle Gigs
You’ve probably heard of “driving for dollars” with services like Lyft, and these may be the quintessential side hustle jobs.
You have total control over your schedule and availability. One driver of mine on a recent trip put it this way: “When I want to make money, I turn on the app.”
Meanwhile, Uber is known for using the term “side hustle” in their ads recruiting drivers. The pioneering–if not controversial–ridesharing apps lets you essentially start your own taxi service and earn money driving your neighbors around.
If you don’t have a car but still want to get in on some of these driving side hustles, HyreCar will rent you one, and says the average driver nets $1000 a week even after the rental fee.
“Dashers” make up to $25 an hour* as a food delivery drivers with the DoorDash app. I sat down with one DoorDash driver earning $250-500 a month integrating his deliveries into his nightly commute home.
*For illustrative purposes only, actual earnings may differ and depend on expenses. Hourly pay is calculated using average Dasher payouts while on a delivery (from the time you accept an order until the time you drop it off) and includes compensation from peak pay, tips, and other incentives.
With Instacart, you’re getting paid to shop for and deliver other people’s groceries. Payments are made weekly and you’ll select your available hours in advance. Naturally, this side hustle job is limited to the hours grocery stores are open.
Check out our full Instacart Shopper review here, with insights from a side hustler earning an extra $450-500 a week.
Shipt is a popular grocery delivery service owned by Target. According to their site, you can earn up to $22 an hour as a shopper and delivery driver.
Other Delivery Job Apps
- Grubhub – Popular food delivery app.
- Caviar – Another food delivery app.
- Amazon Flex – Earn $18-25 an hour making deliveries for Amazon in select markets.
- JoyRun – Deliver takeout meals in your spare time with the JoyRun app. Some users report earning $10,000 in a year of JoyRunning.
- Rinse – Rinse valet drivers pick-up and deliver laundry and dry cleaning.
- Alfred – Sign on as a professional “Alfred” — a modern day urban butler sold on a subscription membership model — and get paid to run errands for busy clients.
- Deliveroo – European app-powered food delivery service.
Pro Tip: Rideshare and delivery drivers might consider adding Hurdlr to your arsenal. Hurdlr helps you automatically track your mileage to save on taxes.
Teaching and Tutoring Side Hustle Jobs
If you have a passion for education and helping students learn, these side hustle jobs will be worth a look.
EF Education First
For over 50 years, Education First has been helping people around the world learn English. If you have a bachelor’s degree, live in the US or UK, and have prior teaching or tutoring experience, you can earn up to $20 an hour teaching online with EF.
As a work-from-home teacher, you’ll choose your own schedule, bring your own teaching style, and enjoy local, US and UK-based support.
Other Teaching and Tutoring Jobs
- Magic Ears – Magic Ears matches online English teachers with students in China.
- CourseHero – The CourseHero platform helps connects more than 10 million students with tutors online. Top tutors on CourseHero earn $500 a week.
- Verbling – Set your own hourly rate for online language lessons. Most tutors appear to be in the $10-25 an hour range, and Verbling says some earn a full-time living on the platform.
- italki – Set your own hourly rate for Skype language lessons and conversation practice on this platform with more than 2,000,000 language learning students. Rates were mostly around $10/hour for English practice.
- VerbalPlanet – Another peer-to-peer language learning site where you can set your own hours and rates, though the average student payment is $22 for a 45 minute lesson. VerbalPlanet asks you to only apply to their tutoring platform if you have teaching experience.
- Preply – Earn $15 an hour and up language tutoring Preply’s audience of more than 150,000 students.
Survey and Consumer Feedback Side Hustle Jobs
It’s not really accurate to call these “jobs” since they’re not super predictable. Still, surveys and focus groups can add to your personal bottom line — especially if you have nothing better to do.
Respondent is the best paying online survey outfit I’ve found. The surveys usually take the shape of one-on-one interviews either in-person or over the phone / video chat, and they pay an average of $140 an hour.
(I did a 2-hour in-person Respondent focus group near me and made $200. Check out my full Respondent review for more.)
User Interviews is a great platform to get matched with remote market research studies that generally pay $50-200 an hour.
Check out my full User Interviews review for more.
Other Survey Sites to Check Out
- Swagbucks – Earn up to $35 a survey with this mega-popular app, and get a $10 bonus just for signing up!
- InboxDollars – Get a $5 bonus just for signing up!
- Survey Junkie – Earn up to $40 a month and cash out beginning at just $5.
- YouGov - Long-running survey panel, with data often cited in the media.
- American Consumer Opinion – Join millions of free members and earn up to $50 per survey.
- Opinion Outpost – Cash out at just $5 via PayPal or Amazon gift cards. Each survey enters you into a $10,000 quarterly drawing.
- Pinecone Research – Earn $3 for each 15-20 minute survey. They'll send you a $3 check after your first one.
- Springboard America – Earn up to $5.00 for 20 minute surveys from home.
User Interface Testing Jobs
Earn $10 for every 20-minute online user test through UserTesting. You’ll be asked to review and give your opinions on websites, apps, shopping portals, and more.
Special software tracks your mouse movement while your webcam and mic record your eye movement, facial expressions, and words as you complete the questions.
You have to act fast though when new studies are released; in my experience UserTesting tests disappear very quickly.
Other “Get Paid to Review Websites” Sites:
- Intellizoom – Earn an average of $10 per test, with most tests taking around 15-20 minutes.
- Enroll – Help “make the web a better place” by testing websites before they’re published.
- UserFeel – Each test lasts 10-20 minutes and pays $10.
- TryMyUI – Try My UI pays $10 per test and tests typically last around 20 minutes.
Caregiving Side Hustle Jobs
Taking car of kids, grown-ups, pets, and houses is a huge industry — but not usually a full-time career. That’s why these gigs make for great side hustles.
With more than 19 million members, Care.com is the largest marketplace for child care, senior care, pet care, and house sitting.
Sittercity is a huge marketplace for child care, with parents posting jobs every 2 minutes and rates usually in the $10-20/hour range.
If you love kids, UrbanSitter could be the perfect side hustle job. Set your own babysitting rates, availability, and geographic area you cover. Because UrbanSitter charges parents a monthly membership fee to access the directory, you keep 100% of your earnings.
Set up your own pet-sitting profile on Rover.com and take care of your neighbors’ dogs when they go out of town.
Other Caregiving Job Sites:
- Honor – Honor specializes in elder care and requires at least 6 months of relevant caregiving experience.
- Helpr – An interesting new family support app, Helpr aims to connect parents and sitters — but employers sometimes subsidize the care.
- ConnectRN – Certified nurses can pick up extra shifts from nearby facilities in need.
Freelance Side Hustle Jobs
As more and more work shifts online and remote, the demand for talented work-from-home freelancers is only increasing. You can try your hand at landing clients through broad freelance marketplaces like Upwork, Fiverr, or FreeUp, or check out some of the more specialized options below.
Virtual assistants provide administrative support to clients from their home office. Several companies hire work-from-home assistants, including:
The pay varies but is generally between $12-20 an hour.
If becoming a virtual assistant sounds like a good fit to your skills and personality, you may be able to earn more setting up shop on your own. To learn more about starting your own virtual assistant company, check out the free video training from my friend Abbey Ashley, who started her VA business on the side and shares:
- Where to find thousands of potential clients.
- How to make a full-time living working from home.
- What clients are really looking for in a VA. (hint: it’s not prior VA experience)
There’s big bucks in helping place new hires! You can earn $1333 when your referral gets hired through Hired.com.
FixThePhoto hires remote part-time photo re-touching and editing experts. If you’re a Lightroom or Photoshop pro, this could be worth checking out.
Editing and Proofreading Side Hustle Jobs
A few years ago, I started a non-fiction book editing side hustle, and landed my first few clients on Fiverr. There are also a few marketplaces and platforms that specialize in this type of work.
Scribendi – Scribendi hires proofreaders and editors to work remotely and correct client documents.
ProofreadingServices.com – An online proofreading and English tutoring service looking for work-from-home English tutors.
Rev – Transcribe interviews and lectures on Rev.com and earn $9 an hour and up.
ServiceScape – ServiceScape is a freelance marketplace for writers, editors, translators, and graphic designers.
Translation Side Hustle Jobs
If one of your skills is being multi-lingual, here are some interesting translation-related gigs.
Translators Cafe – Register for free to get notified of new translation jobs on this marketplace “where linguists and their clients meet.”
ProZ – Join over 1,000,000 professional translators and customers on this big translation marketplace.
Unbabel – Earn $8-18 an hour translating one of 28 languages for customer service teams around the world.
Customer Service Side Hustle Jobs
Liveops is a “cloud” call center company that hires part-time remote customer service agents to field calls from home. Pay is in the $11-15 an hour range.
Top NexRep agents earn $15-25 an hour doing customer support and phone sales for growing businesses.
Real Estate Side Hustle Jobs
Loan Signing Agent
Notaries (not hard to become one) can make around $100 an hour for completing loan signings for new home buyers on their own schedule.
Check out Mark Wills’ Loan Signing System to learn more. Use promo code sidehustle for 10% off.
Here’s our full Loan Signing System review.
Once you know what you’re doing and are on board with a few signing services, you’ll start to get text message notifications of gigs near you. With each one, you can choose to accept or reject it based on your availability.
This is more of a gig you have to go hunt for yourself, but can be pretty lucrative. How it works is you research popular areas on Airbnb, and then approach landlords advertising traditional rentals in that area.
Your pitch to them is that you’ll sign the lease, take care of all the maintenance on the property, but you’ll turn around and list it on Airbnb.
Not every landlord is going to take that deal, but some do.
Moving and Manual Labor Side Hustle Jobs
Join YourMechanic and earn $40-50 an hour making “house calls” to fix cars and trucks.
If you have a truck or van — and a strong back — you can earn money with Dolly‘s peer-to-peer moving platform, helping your neighbors pack and move across town.
With GoShare, you can put your truck or cargo van to work helping people move and earn up to $62 an hour.
Run errands, build furniture, wait in line, make deliveries … it’s all in a day’s work for a TaskRabbit. You can set your own areas of specialization on this task platform and increase your rates as your work history grows.
Earn up to $22 an hour as a cleaner or up to $45 as a handyperson through the Handy app.
According to their website, top Handy pros are taking home more than $1000 a week. If you’re skilled in painting, plumbing, electrical work, or cleaning with a friendly service attitude, this could be an interesting side hustle job.
Mystery Shopping Side Hustle Jobs
The Field Agent app will help you find “top secret” tasks nearby, such as checking a store for certain products, photographing a display, or asking a store employee a few questions.
Each task pays $3-12 and are relatively quick to complete. Check out my full Field Agent review for more details.
Look for in-person mini-gigs on Gigwalk that can usually be completed in just a few minutes with your smartphone.
BestMark is an industry leader in mystery shopping, connecting you (discreetly) with their clients, which include Fortune 500 companies.
Random Side Hustle Jobs
Storage Service – Make up to $10,000 a year storing other people’s stuff in your garage, attic, basement, or side yard with the popular Neighbor peer-to-peer storage platform.
Movie Extra – Movie extras can earn up to $200 a day. But be prepared, the gig probably isn’t as glamorous as you’re imagining.
WeGoLook – Earn $25 to $200 to “go look at stuff”–eBay purchases, cars, rental properties, or even vacant lots. “Lookers” are often asked to take pictures, verify listing information, or check damage.
Purple Ocean – Earn money delivering video psychic readings for clients via the Purple Ocean app.
TalktoMe – Talk to Me is the web’s leading phone sex directory. [link obviously NSFW.]
CuddleUp – CuddleUp is a strictly-platonic “cuddling for hire” service. In browsing the site, I found rates ranging from free to $99 an hour.
What’s your most viable side hustle job option?
Or, if you’re looking to build something you have more control over, I’d encourage you to subscribe to The Side Hustle Show — new part-time business ideas and growth tactics every week!
Pin it for later: