Dan Harris had me at “meditation for skeptics.”
In the last 5 years, it seems like meditation has gone from a weird woowoo practice to a daily staple of most top entrepreneurs, executives, and leaders.
But so far, I haven’t been able to get into it. Have you?
I’ve tried a few of the guided meditation apps, including Headspace and Calm, but when I tried meditating in the morning, I had this impatient feeling like I should just get on with my day and start work.
You might recognize Dan from TV. He’s an Emmy award winning journalist and co-anchor on Nightline and the weekend edition of Good Morning America.
As a side hustle, he wrote a book called 10% Happier, chronicling his journey from a live on-air panic attack to finding in meditation a practice that has helped calm the voices in his head, and lead a happier life. He’s also created a guided meditation app by the same name.
Today on The Side Hustle Show, he joins me to share some of the science supporting meditation, how to get started if you’ve never done it before, and how even fidgety skeptics like Dan and I can find 5 minutes of zen.
Or use the player app above to listen right in your browser.
- The scientific benefits of meditation.
- The 3 steps to a beginning mindfulness meditation practice.
- How long each session should last.
- How quickly it took Dan to see results.
- His suggestions for creating a meditation habit.
- How to know if you’re “doing it right” and the compound effect of completing this “exercise for your brain.”
- Dan’s #1 tip for Side Hustle Nation.
- 10% Happier Book
- 10% Happier app
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center
- Sam Harris Guided Meditation
- Sharon Salzberg
Join my free meditation challenge!
Leave a comment below and let me know you’re in for the 30-day challenge to make meditation a practice in your life. I’m going to give this a renewed effort during the month of August and will share my results (if there are any) at the end.