Dorie Clark is a strategic marketing consultant and adjunct professor at the Duke University Fuqua School of Business. She’s written for places like Forbes and the Harvard Business Review, and consulted with dozens of companies and organizations like Google, Microsoft, the Gates Foundation, and the National Parks Service.
So what does all that have to do with side hustling?
Well, Dorie’s latest book is called Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It, and it is the perfect companion to anyone trying to build a personal brand, an authority website, or an audience-based business.
(And every business has to start with an audience of at least one; your first customer!)
This episode is a little different from other Side Hustle Show episodes because we actually don’t talk much about Dorie’s personal story or experience at all, but rather dive into the research and examples that went into Stand Out.
Listen in to learn how you can generate your next killer idea, get people to pay attention to you, and find a way to monetize it.
Thanks to John Corcoran for the introduction!
Free PDF Download:
- Audible – Listen to a free audiobook and start your free 30-day trial!
- What qualifies as a “breakthrough idea” and how you can find yours.
- The questions you can ask yourself to help brainstorm unique ideas.
- The 3-step process to spread your message and your idea in a non-spammy way.
- How some side hustlers have fast-tracked their authority, without even building a website at first.
- The weird ways in which the money seeks you out after you start “Standing Out.”
- Dorie’s #1 tip for Side Hustle Nation.
- Stand Out
- Steph Halligan – The Empowered Dollar
- Wellington on the SHN public coaching journey
- Rita McGrath – The End of Competitive Advantage
- Peter Diamandis and Steven Kotler – Bold
- Peter Diamandis’ TED Talk (Abundance is our Future)
- Sheryl Sandberg – Lean In
- Garrett Moon and CoSchedule
- Harry Campbell – The RideShare Guy
Free PDF Download: