Carrie Smith’s CarefulCents blog is one of my personal favorites.
Why? Because she’s a side hustler who’s been there, done that.
She’s built her part-time freelancing business to the point where she was able to quit her job and become a full-time entrepreneur. In the process, she’s built up a popular blog and personal brand, paid off $14k in debt, and commands significantly above-market rates for her work.
In this episode of The Hustle Show, you’ll hear how she landed her first clients, when it makes sense to work for free, and how she’s set her business up for success with recurring contracts (similar to Alexis in Episode 76).
Free PDF Download:
- Website Magazine – Get a FREE print subscription to Website Magazine (no strings attached!)
- How Carrie got her start as a freelancer, and the investments she made in herself and her relationships.
- How she combined a “give first” strategy with targeting her specific dream clients.
- Why a specialist can charge more than a generalist, and how she commands rates of up to $150 an article.
- Why Carrie avoids freelance marketplaces like Elance or oDesk.
- How she transitioned from free work to paid work.
- How she set-up her business for recurring contracts, instead of one-off assignments.
- Carrie’s advice for someone to get started in just an hour a day.
- Her #1 tip for Side Hustle Nation.
What say you? Could you use a similar approach to sell your skills to companies in need? What problem could you solve on an ongoing basis with this “give first” strategy?