In Episode 3 of The Side Hustle Show, I’m joined by Alex Genadinik, a smartphone app developer whose apps have been downloaded more than 100,000 times! I love his story because it’s about building an audience from scratch and learning along the way.
Plus, the cool thing about Alex’s apps is they’re built to help aspiring entrepreneurs plan, market, and grow their businesses. If all goes well, we’ll see tens of thousands of new side hustle enterprises as a result!
In the interview, we talk about:
- The 4 options for getting an app developed.
- The importance of listening to your customers.
- The downsides of outsourcing app development.
- How to get your apps discovered in the app stores.
- How to prevent negative reviews.
- Why business planning is still important, even for the smallest side hustle operations.
- Why in-app advertising might not be the best monetization strategy.
- Alex’s #1 piece of advice for side hustle entrepreneurs.
Mentioned in this episode:
- GlowingStart.com (Formerly Problemio, where you can find Alex’s apps)
- Elance (to find outsourced app developers)
- My favorite money making apps
- Stack Overflow (helpful developer’s forum)
- Google Keyword Tool
- The Oatmeal cartoon
- Tapjoy (mobile ad network)
- Apptopia (app marketplace)
This is the longest Side Hustle Show interview to date, and I feel like we still only just scratched the surface of the fascinating world of apps.
If you have any questions for Alex or regarding app development in general, please leave a quick note in the comments below.
See you in Episode 4!