Here are my favorite hustle quotes.
The value of hustling transcends generations, genders, and ethnicities. It appears to be a universally accepted quality.
1. “Things may come to those who wait … but only the things left by those who hustle.”
Who said it: Abraham Lincoln
My take: I had no idea “hustle” was part of the general lexicon in the mid-19th Century. Did Honest Abe really utter these words?
Patience is a virtue, but being proactive will get faster results.
2. “I’m from where your hustle determines your salary.”
Who said it: Rick Ross
My take: The harder you work, the more you can make.
3. “Every day I’m hustling.”
4. “Stay Humble, Hustle Hard.”
Who said it: Unknown.
My take: In the age of “hey, look at me!” social media highlight reels, humility is under-rated. Keep your head down and do your work.
5. “Eat. Sleep. Hustle. Repeat.”
6. “The dream is free, but the hustle is sold separately.”
7. “Hustle until your haters ask if you’re hiring.”
8. “Good things happen to those who hustle.”
Who said it: Anais Nin
My take: This is akin to “the harder I work, the luckier I get.” Set yourself up for success by trying new things and putting yourself out there.
I can personally attest that I would not be writing this today if I hadn’t worked my butt off.
9. “Do or do not; there is no try.”
Who said it: Yoda
My take: Commit, and get it done!
10. “Greatness only comes before hustle in the dictionary.”
Who said it: Ross Simmonds
My take: There are no results without effort.
11. “What would you do if you weren’t afraid?”
Who said it: Sheryl Sandberg
My take: I recommend Tim Ferriss’ fear-setting exercise to explore your true worst-case scenarios.
12. “What you lack in talent can be made up with desire, hustle and giving 110% all the time.”
Who said it: Don Zimmer
My take: Remarkably talented people can get by with less effort, or at least they make it look easy. The rest of us can catch up with hustle.
It levels the playing field. I remember reading this story about a girls basketball team that went full-court-press all game every game. The other teams didn’t know what to do!
13. “Contrary to popular opinion, the hustle is not a new dance step — it is an old business procedure.”
Who said it: Fran Lebowitz
My take: Even though the term “side hustle” is relatively new, the idea is as old as commerce itself.
The 9-5 workday is a product of the Industrial Revolution. Prior to that, most people were entrepreneurs; hustling is in our blood.
14. “I played the game one way. I gave it everything I had. It doesn’t take any ability to hustle.”
Who said it: Wade Boggs
15. “I love people, and the hustle.”
Who said it: Gary Vaynerchuk
My take: If you love what you’re doing and what you’re working towards, it won’t seem like “work.”
Related: Celebrity side hustles
16. “My hustle is nonstop. I never stop hustling.”
Who said it: Young Jeezy
My take: Thanks for clarifying what “nonstop” means.
17. “I want the peace in knowing that is wasn’t for lack of hustling that I missed a target for my dream. I want to know that the one thing in my control was under control.”
Who said it: Jon Acuff
My take: I really like this one because it focuses on the one internal thing you can control: your effort. There will be a million outside reasons and excuses for not reaching your goals, but hustle isn’t one of them.
18. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.”
Who said it: Aristotle
My take: I believe in the compound effect of small actions done consistently over time. Try and get 1% better every day.
19. “Be not afraid of going slowly. Be afraid only of standing still.”
Who said it: Chinese proverb
My take: It’s entrepreneurial physics: an entrepreneur in motion stays in motion. Keep the momentum alive!
20. “Sometimes, you’ve got to work a little, so you can ball a lot.”
Who said it: Tom Haverford
21. “Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t.”
Who said it: Anonymous
My take: Starting a business may involve some short-term sacrifices that ultimately end up getting you out of the rat race.
22. “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.”
Who said it: Stephen King
My take: Natural talent will only get you so far. You’ve got to apply it and put in the practice.
23. “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.”
Who said it: Estee Lauder
My take: I think it’s OK to have a dream or a vision for your future life, but then you need to take concrete steps to reverse-engineer that vision and make it a reality.
24. “Life is short. Don’t be lazy.”
Who said it: Sophia Amoruso
My take: There’s a time and a place to rest, but make sure your rest serves you. The days may go slow but the years go fast.
25. “Progress equals happiness.”
Who said it: Tony Robbins
My take: A sense of progress or forward motion makes for satisfying days and a satisfying life. This is one reason I created my own productivity journal and called it The Progress Journal.
26. “You can’t have a million-dollar dream with a minimum-wage work ethic.”
Who said it: Stephen C. Hogan
27. “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.”
Who said it: Maya Angelou
28. “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.”
Who said it: Jon Acuff
My take: Every expert was once a beginner; every all-star was once a rookie. The key is getting started and staying started, without falling victim to the comparison trap.
29. “Never accept yourself as a finished product. Be a finished product when you die. As long as you have breath in your lungs, expand yourself.”
Who said it: Brandi Bates
My take: I like this hustle quote. There’s always room for improvement or little optimizations along the way.
30. “The best kinds of people in your life aren’t those who gather to celebrate your success, but those who gather to help your hustle.”
Who said it: Usman Ismaheel
My take: Surround yourself with like-minded people, the kind who understand what you’re working toward.
31. “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want.”
Who said it: Zig Ziglar
My take: Instead of looking for business ideas, what if you started looking for problems to solve?
32. “Your 9-5 may make you a living, but your 5-9 makes you alive!”
Who said it: Nick Loper … that’s me!
My take: Even if your day job is soul-sucking, you’re in control of your other 16 hours every day. Use them wisely!
Hustle Quotes: Your Turn
Do you have a favorite hustle quote? Be sure to share in the comments below!
Serious About Making Extra Money?
- Start Your Free $500 Challenge. My free 5-day email course shows you how to add $500 to your bottom line.
- Join the free Side Hustle Nation Community. The free Facebook group is the best place to connect with other side hustlers and get your questions answered.
- Download The Side Hustle Show. My free podcast shares how to make extra money with actionable weekly episodes.
Pin it for later!