The self-publishing world has changed quite a bit in the last couple years. Amazon is constantly changing the rules and rewards for authors, and more and more writers are entering the fold.
In the Side Hustle Show archives, we’ve heard from successful self-published authors like Steve Scott, Nick Stephenson, Chandler Bolt, and Lise Cartwright. I even shared the tactics I used to reach the top of the Amazon charts with my launch last summer.
In today’s show, I’m joined by Jyotsna Ramachandran, a “stay at home mom entrepreneur” and best-selling author. She shares candidly how she built her Kindle empire to more than 50 titles in less than 2 years, primarily with ghost-written content.
As the game has changed, she’s shifted her focus to produce more quality products and less quantity, admitting that the rapid-release of lower quality books can be a viable strategy in the short-term, but is tough to build a business and a brand on in the long-run.
Her book Job Escape Plan has done very well since its release this spring, and Jyotsna and her business partner Ani (a best-selling fiction author) have started their own done-for-you publishing service.
I think this conversation is a testament to just getting started, because you never know what opportunities will come up once you’re in motion.
Related: Want to work from home? Here’s a monster list of jobs you can do without going into the office.
Free PDF Download:
- KindleLaunchCourse.com – Learn the proven process to take your book from idea to bestseller.
Free 99designs Cover Contest:
- Enter to win a free book cover design from 99designs! (Expired)
- How the birth of her daughter led Jyotsna to pursue an online side hustle.
- How she built a portfolio of more than 50 Kindle titles in less than 2 years.
- Why her strategy has shifted away from ghostwritten content and toward building her own brand.
- How Jyotsna launched Job Escape Plan to bestseller status with no audience or list.
- How she’s leveraging her freelancer network, business process systems, and experience with Kindle (good, bad, and ugly) into building a publishing company to help other authors get their work on Amazon.
- Jyotsna’s #1 tip for Side Hustle Nation.
- Jyotsna Ramachandran – The HomeEntrepreneur
- Happy Self-Publishing (formerly Publish My Book Today)
- Job Escape Plan
- Holger’s book promotion service (under the pen name James Mayfield)
- Ani’s Write2BRead podcast
- The Piggyback Principle
- Austin Netzley’s Epic Launch
- Tom Morkes’ Insurgent Publishing
Free PDF Download: