Is there still an opportunity in smartphone apps?
Carter Thomas thinks so, and shares some interesting and insightful ways to take advantage of the 3 giant app marketplaces (Apple, Google, and Amazon).
Carter and his company are app-production machines, pumping out a crazy 1500 new apps in 2 years (mostly 2013 and 2014). Nowadays, the strategy has shifted somewhat to creating fewer apps and putting more resources and marketing behind them.
Since I really know nothing about the app business — and it’s been a loooong time since we’ve done any app-related episodes on The Side Hustle Show, this was a pretty interesting conversation for me.
I see (and Carter sheds light on) the parallels between the app world and the larger Internet and other complementary business models. Even though the marketplaces are crowded and it’s a battle for visibility, there are still some concrete tactics you can do to earn money with apps, even as a side hustle.
Free PDF Download:
- How to come up with app ideas or validate one you already have.
- Carter’s strategy of proactively reaching out to other developers to help improve their products.
- The 2 general app categories and the 1 question you should ask before you begin.
- An innovative and cost-effective way to get your app 80% built before hiring a developer.
- Carter’s take on the various app-building services and software.
- What he sees as the biggest opportunity in apps today.
- Typical app monetization models, plus one that most developers overlook.
- His suggestions on how to get your first 1000 downloads.
- Carter’s #1 tip for Side Hustle Nation.
Building an App Empire: From Zero to $70k a Month <– click to tweet!
- Reskinning for Enterprise
- The mobile backend you’re not building
- Game Gorillaz
- Appy Pie
- John Logar on pre-selling software
- Wellington’s Travel Hacking app
Free PDF Download: